Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Prater signs four-year contract

By Ryan Ebert | Ryan@nflen.com

The Broncos and kicker Matt Prater has finally come to an agreement on a contract!  The deal is for four years worth $13 million with a $3 million signing bonus.  The franchise-tagged kicker was unhappy he skipped out on the team's offseason workouts, but is now happy to get back to business and focus on football.

“It feels amazing,” Prater said. “It’s something I’ve worked for since I was a little kid. Throughout the process it was kind of tough especially once practice and everything starts, I wanted to be there. In the end, I knew it was going to get done. The Broncos made it pretty easy and my agent did a great job so it wasn’t too bad of a process. I’m excited to be back. I’m very thankful to (Owner) Mr. Bowlen, (Executive V.P. of Football Operations John) Elway, the entire organization, the fans and everybody involved. It’s awesome to be out here.”

In 2011 Prater put up 87 total points leading the team in his sixth year and was first in the NFL with a 70.1 touchback percentage on kickoffs.  He also joined two other players in league history to have four game-winning field goals in overtime or as time expired.

Prater has improved every season and wants to live up to his new contract.
“I’ve progressed and gotten better,” Prater said. “I was hoping for it to happen and now that it’s happened I’m very thankful and gracious and ready to prove myself and why I got a long-term contract. I need to show everyone that I’m worth it.”

He was sure a deal would get done, but did not like that it was not done before the offseason workouts. For he was always there in previous years.
“It was just tough because in the past, I’ve always been out here for the offseason program,” Prater said. “Seeing on the news all the guys together working out and getting the chemistry, the team chemistry, and building relationships – that was probably the most difficult part. Just the uncertainty of not knowing exactly what’s going to happen was a little difficult too.”

The former UCF kicker joined Denver in 2007 and has gone 90 of 112 (80.1%) field-goal attempts with 12 of 16 (75%) on kicks that are 50 yards or longer.  Along with his four game-winning field-goal makes in the fourth quarter or overtime, Prater also had three game-tying field-goals in 2011.

When Josh McDaniels was head coach is when Prater started to show his value to the team.
"A couple years ago, when (I was) just kicking and seeing the other kickers, I realized I definitely had the talent and I knew I could do it," Prater said. "I just had to prove myself, and the Broncos saw that and rewarded me." 

Prater has not yet met with Denver's new quarterback Peyton Manning, but is excited to see what they will do when training camp starts on July 26.
“I’m really excited just to see the offense and what they’re going to be doing,” Prater said. “I’m excited to meet everyone, which was a big thing too that was tough about not being there for the offseason – all the new faces that were in the facility. Now I’m going to have to meet everybody at camp. I’m really excited to get back to work and meet all those guys and see what I can do.”

He is also hoping Manning and the offense will make his job easier.
“The offense can also make my job easier too,” he laughed. “Maybe I’ll just have to kick a lot of extra points this year, which will be awesome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment