Tuesday, June 12, 2012

CB Paymah trying to get back to NFL

by Ryan Ebert

Former Broncos, Texans, and Vilings cornerback Karl Paymah will go the same route as wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett and quarterback T.J. O'Sullivan to try and revive his NFL career, yet he doesn't want to end up like those two as they have retired.  He will be going into the CFL and will join the Saskatchewan RoughRiders.

“It puts everything into perspective because I took a lot of things for granted,’’ Paymah tells the Regina Leader-Post.  ”It’s keeping me humble and working on the little things that I did take for granted in the past.  [The Riders] are probably one of the best coaching staffs that I’ve been around.”

“In the NFL, they don’t have time to coach you because it’s all about schemes,” he added.  ”These guys have played the game before and they know when your body hurts.  They are going to take care of you.  I’m learning and I haven’t learned in a long time.’’

Paynah was drafted by Denver 76th overall in the third round in the 2005 NFL Draft from Washington State.  A native from Boston Massachusetts, he played in 60 games starting five.  In four seasons with the Broncos he put up 101 tackles, deflected 12 passes and had three interceptions.

Paymah, 29, played in 12 games with Minnesota with two starts in 2009 and had 27 tackles, 2 pass deflections, and a forced fumble.  He then went on to Houston playing in two games and only put up 2 tackles in 2010.

Paymah, who stands at 6'0" and 195 lbs. talked about his concussion he suffered in 2007.

“I remember that his knee hit my head,’’ Paymah recalled of the running back who knocked him out cold.
“The next thing I remember was waking up in the ambulance and I was all strapped down.  I wanted them to get it off me because I had to get back into the game.  They calmed me down, and after I started to move my limbs, I realized that I was fine. . . .  My hearing and my sight was affected for four weeks after it.’

But a week later he returned to the gridiron.

“I didn’t feel like I was ready, but I didn’t want to let my team down and I felt there was a lot of pressure,” Paymah said.  ”It wasn’t the smartest thing to do, but I had to do what I had to do.”

Bible verse that was applied to this article:

"The righteousness of the upright shall deliver them: but transgressors shall be taken in their own naughtiness." Proverbs 11:6


No comments:

Post a Comment