Sunday, June 10, 2012

Stokley working as hard as ever for a spot

by Ryan Ebert

Broncos wide receiver Brandon Stokley is thirty-five years old and has a familiar relationship with quarterback Peyton Manning, but he is still going out onto the field as if he has everything to lose.

"I feel like I'm fighting for a job every day. So I just go out there and try to prove to myself that I can still make plays, every day. That's been my mentality since I was a rookie," Stokley told Lindsey ones of The Denver Post on Sunday. "I'm enjoying it, having fun. I know I don't have another five years, 10 years left in me, so I'm enjoying this experience and this opportunity that I have."

The top three receivers are projected to be Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, and Andre Caldwell.  Stokley only had one catch for seven yards in the Giants first two games of the season, but he can produce if healthy and be productive out of the slot.

In February Stokley was about "ninety-five percent retired"when he was still recovering from a quadriceps injury he suffered with his short time with the Giants.  Stokley went on to workout with Manning in North Carolina (pain free), and made the decision to play one more year signing a one-year contract and reunite with Manning whom he played with from 2003 to 2006.

Stokley had 31 receptions for 354 yards in 11 games for Seattle in 2010 which was his last productive season.  This was after an injured groin got him released by Denver.

His experience with Manning gives him advantage over his teammates for a spot on the team, and head coach John Fox has liked what he has seen.


"It's the Brandon Stokley I've seen on tape. He's healthy, and he's got a good skill set to play in this league, and he's proven that a lot of different places," Fox said.

No comments:

Post a Comment